Re: Shipping .texi sources in binary packages (was: unidentified subject)

On Tue, Oct 20, 1998 at 07:07:03PM +0200, Santiago Vila wrote:
[About DVI]
> (BTW: What font issues are you talking about?)

DVI is not a self-contained format.  It does not include font data, it
only refers to fonts (as in, "select cccsc10" when ten-point Concrete
Small Caps is requested).  So, in order to view a DVI file you must
have the correct fonts installed.  And I'm not talking about X fonts,
I'm talking about Postscript or Metafont fonts; so you'll need teTeX
to view a DVI file.

> Do you propose that .sgml replaces .html as our preferred
> documentation format in the long run?

I would favour that.  HTML is too limited, and SGML can be converted
to HTML (with possible loss of information) at will.

        Antti-Juhani
--
Antti-Juhani Kaijanaho A7 <gaia@iki.fi> ** <URL:http://www.iki.fi/gaia/> **

                       The FAQ is your friend.