Re: PROPOSAL: Debian Logo (Was: Logo License has *expired*)

On Mon, Sep 21, 1998 at 07:19:21PM -0700, Ben Gertzfield wrote:
>     Neale> The temporary logo license expired 21 days ago.  I'm not a
>     Neale> developer so I can't do it, but could someone please write
>     Neale> up a proposal for a permanent license?  This is getting
>     Neale> ridiculous.
>
>     Joseph> Okay...  Here goes:
>
>     Joseph> I propose that a new permanent license be given to the
>     Joseph> Debian Logo.  While not a final draft certainly, I suggest
>     Joseph> the following license terms:
>
>     Joseph> * Logo may be used on "Official" CD-ROMs/jewel cases/etc
>
> What is 'etc'? Can it be used on CD-ROMs of non-free or non-US?

I don't think we should allow it on those since they are not part of
Debian..  However, if they included the contents of the main dist, I
suppose they should be able to use it in advertising, just as long as Debian
main is clearly not the same CD as non-free/non-us.

It could be used elsewhere, just like not on the CD/jewel cases because they
aren't Debian.  The CDs which are Debian (main, mail+contrib, source for
main and or contrib) are currently considered "Debian" so CDs which only
have those things on them should be logo-able.  If Debian is included in
that form and there's a box or something, the box could have the logo, just
as long as the Debian is distinguishable from the non-Debian.

>     Joseph> * Logo may be used on a web page for commercial
>     Joseph> advertising purposes as long as Debian GNU/Linux makes up
>     Joseph> a significant part of what is being sold and that part is
>     Joseph> distinct from anything bundled with it.  Ie, you could
>     Joseph> have i386 binary main CD bundled with ftp archive snapshot
>     Joseph> CDs, but you could not have parts of debian and slackware
>     Joseph> on the same CD without getting permission to do.
>
> Can it be used in a print advertisement? IMHO, the 'on a web page'
> is unnecessary and forbids television, print, and other media. I'd
> say remove it.

Okay, "Logo may be used for commercial advertising purposes provided that"

>     Joseph> * Logo may be used to advertize the Debian project if
>     Joseph> contact information, URLs, whatever are provided for the
>     Joseph> user to find the Debian project whose logo is being
>     Joseph> referenced.
>
> 'advertise', not 'advertize' (no, this is not a british vs. american
> thing, I spell it wrong often, too. :)

Eh, you're right.  Didn't realize I'd done that, I know better.  =>

>     Joseph> * Derivative works based on the Debian logo are subject to
>     Joseph> the same terms as the Debian logo (powered by Debian web
>     Joseph> graphics, etc)
>
>     Joseph> How's that for a start?
>
> Looks good to me other than those changes.

Hey, I didn't do TOO bad for about 3 minutes typing while offline and unable
to look at the current license, no?