Re: PROPOSAL: Debian Logo (Was: Logo License has *expired*)

    Joseph> [Please remove debian-devel when replying]

    Joseph> On Mon, Sep 21, 1998 at 12:00:30PM -0600, Neale Pickett
    Joseph> wrote:

    Neale> The temporary logo license expired 21 days ago.  I'm not a
    Neale> developer so I can't do it, but could someone please write
    Neale> up a proposal for a permanent license?  This is getting
    Neale> ridiculous.

    Joseph> Okay...  Here goes:

    Joseph> I propose that a new permanent license be given to the
    Joseph> Debian Logo.  While not a final draft certainly, I suggest
    Joseph> the following license terms:

    Joseph> * Logo may be used on "Official" CD-ROMs/jewel cases/etc

What is 'etc'? Can it be used on CD-ROMs of non-free or non-US?

    Joseph> * Logo may be used on a web page for commercial
    Joseph> advertising purposes as long as Debian GNU/Linux makes up
    Joseph> a significant part of what is being sold and that part is
    Joseph> distinct from anything bundled with it.  Ie, you could
    Joseph> have i386 binary main CD bundled with ftp archive snapshot
    Joseph> CDs, but you could not have parts of debian and slackware
    Joseph> on the same CD without getting permission to do.

Can it be used in a print advertisement? IMHO, the 'on a web page'
is unnecessary and forbids television, print, and other media. I'd
say remove it.

    Joseph> * Logo may be used to advertize the Debian project if
    Joseph> contact information, URLs, whatever are provided for the
    Joseph> user to find the Debian project whose logo is being
    Joseph> referenced.

'advertise', not 'advertize' (no, this is not a british vs. american
thing, I spell it wrong often, too. :)

    Joseph> * Derivative works based on the Debian logo are subject to
    Joseph> the same terms as the Debian logo (powered by Debian web
    Joseph> graphics, etc)

    Joseph> How's that for a start?

Looks good to me other than those changes.

Ben

--
Brought to you by the letters B and S and the number 17.
"Everybody wants prosthetic foreheads on their real heads." -- TMBG