Re: Comments on policy modifications

On Tue, 15 Sep 1998, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 14, 1998 at 10:00:36PM +0200, Santiago Vila wrote:
> > On Mon, 14 Sep 1998, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
> > >
> > > So should we change i386-hurd to i386-gnu on the ftp archive? This would
> > > also express the explicit wish of Gordon, IIRC.
> >
> > I don't think this is strictly necessary, it would add confusion to our
> > users, which would ask over and over again about this "gnu" thing (is not
> > linux "gnu" also?). BTW: On the ftp archive we have "hurd-i386", not
> > i386-hurd.
>
> True. Seems that I'm completely confused by the architecture string opposed
> to the name the architecture carries on the ftp site. Are they at all
> related?

Well, this is the current situation:

dpkg architecture       Architecture string (for configure scripts)
field (for FTP)

i386                    i386-linux
alpha                   alpha-linux
powerpc                 powerpc-linux
hurd-i386               i386-gnu

They are "related" in general, just that GNU/Hurd is a special case.
To be "consistent", we would have to rename i386 to i386-linux in the FTP
archives, but I don't think this is necessary either. As soon as
Linux binary compatibility is achieved, hurd-i386 could become just
a subtree of i386 (like amigas and ataris for m68k).

--
 "ceedd9d840a610bdcbb8b6b91fa93422" (a truly random sig)