Re: Call for seconds: Policy modifications

Zed Pobre wrote:
> Part 2: (bug#25911)
>
> Section 5.5 ("Log files") should be moved to be a subsection of
> section 3.3 ("Files"), becoming section 3.3.8, placing it after
> "Configuration files".  Section 3.3.8 ("Permissions and owners")
> should become Section 3.3.9.  All subsections of Section 5 after 5.5
> should be accordingly moved down to fill in the number gap.

The bug report asks for "Files" to be made a chapter of its own.
Would that not be better, since we are renumbering sections anyway?

> Part 3: (bug#25385)
>
> Section 4.1 ("Architecture specification strings") should be changed
> to allow the Hurd operating system.  This requires that the segment
> reading:
>
>   where `<arch>' is one of the following: i386, alpha, arm, m68k,
>   powerpc, sparc.
>
> be changed to:
>
>   where `<arch>' is one of the following: i386, alpha, arm, gnu, m68k,
>   powerpc, sparc.

This is wrong.  It would add gnu-linux as an architecture.  What is
needed is to add <arch>-gnu to <arch>-linux, for all architectures.
(Currently there is only an i386 port, but that may change).

I find it amusing that the FSF contradicts its own "GNU/Linux" stance
here :-)  Apparently linux is "GNU/Linux", but the Hurd is called "gnu"
to distinguish it from "linux".  I would find an architecture string
with "hurd" to be far more consistent.

Richard Braakman