Re: Proposal Announce Processes

On 01-Sep-98 Jules Bean wrote:
> On Tue, 1 Sep 1998, Darren Benham wrote:
>
>> I'd say announcing it to the "general" developer public would be a courtesy
>> if
>> nothing else.  There might be an issue that someone feels important enough
>> (or
>> important enough to his packages) that he'd want to participate but not, in
>> general, be a part of ALL policy discussions.
>
> Well, an option which presents itself is the creation of a policy-announce
> group.  The policy-announce group would be used to post formal proposals
> and CFVs, maybe (and results).
>
> Personally, I don't think that this is necessary, since I feel that
> developers who care about policy should read the group, and those who
> don't should be content to 'toe the line'.  However, if someone else were
> to propose a scheme like that above, I wouldn't vote against it.

I agree, I don't think that would be necessary.  If we kept that line of
thought, there'd be a -www-announce and a -this-announce and a -that-announce.
And for many of those things (say, within the WWW list) I'm not sure I'd
consider any of it important enough to bring to the attention of people who
don't follow that list.  I was thinking policy to be a bit different since it
could effect everybody a lot more than just how the web pages look.  Still, I
follow -policy so if the consensus is against the idea all together, I won't be
hurt :)  I just wanted to courteous to "the others".  Either way, I'd call
-policy-announce overkill.  The closest I'd come, if the "vote.debian.org" gets
off the ground, is a "list" or some other mechanisim that whoever wants to can
follow the internal workings of the vote group... kinda like the (i think the
address is:) debian-bugs@lists.debian.org is available for anyone who wants to
follow ALL bug reports and and changes.

* http://benham.net/index.html                                          *