Re: /usr/X11R6

miquels@cistron.nl (Miquel van Smoorenburg) writes:

> Also please check with the LSB (or whatever it is called today) guys
> before making such an incompatible change.

Would it be incompatible if we left the symlinks in?

I don't think anybody was suggesting that we take them out.  I'm not
in favour of anything that would break compatibility.

The advantage to moving the physical location of the files to /usr
(and leaving symlinks for compatibility) is that we don't have to
develop a separate policy for the use of /usr/X11R6.

If we decide to continue installing stuff into /usr/X11R6, then we
will need to develop a clear policy for what goes into /usr/X11R6.

Either way, we shouldn't be talking about breaking compatibility with
anything the LSB proposes.  If we move where we put the binaries, and
still have the symlinks in there - I don't see why any other Linux
distribution would need to follow our lead for compatibility reasons.

Perhaps the case might happen where somebody might use Debian to
develop X-based source-code, and might neglect to add -I/usr/X11R6 and
-L/usr/X11R6.  I'm not sure if that's a really strong argument
however.

Cheers,

 - Jim