Re: Distribution of license documents (fwd)

Hi,

 Santiago> On 17 Aug 1998, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
 >> The GPL, LGPL, BSD, and Artistic licenses do not apply to any
 >> software specifically, and can be considered stand alone. (If I am
 >> wrong, please point out wording in the license that specifies which
 >> package or specific software the license applies to).

 Santiago> Do you mean something like this?:

	Nope. I said "package or specific software". You pull out
 something that applies to any and all software (unspicified, general)
 that includes the notice.

 Santiago>   0. This License applies to any program or other work which contains
 Santiago> a notice placed by the copyright holder saying it may be distributed
 Santiago> under the terms of this General Public License.

	Specifically. Named package. This applies to any program at
 all which contains the disclaimer. The GPL is not like, the is the
 GPL, the license for Emacs version 19. In which cae, there would be a
 bidirectional link. Right now, the directed dependency graph points
 to the GPL from the programs, is computerese is easier to grasp.

 Santiago> Certainly, the GPL in base-files applies to all of the
 Santiago> GPLed software in the Debian distribution.

	Sure. But the GPL dies not need the software. The GPL stands alone.

 Santiago> We would have just to agree on the definition of the term
 Santiago> "stand-alone".

	Stand alone -- not leaning on or dependeing on something
 else. The GPL stands just fine by itself. It does not depend
 on the code that uses it. It does not mention a specific software.

	Distribution of the software is where the dependency comes
 in. I can distribute the GPL without distributing Emacs. Or Make. Or
 any other program that uses and depends on the GPL.

	Why is this so hard to understand?

	manoj

--
 I had a monumental idea this morning, but I didn't like it. Samuel
 Goldwyn