Re: Why licenses don't need to be free (was: Re: Why licenses *are* free)

Hello,

this reply is very short. I'm only adressing the technical points made.

On Sun, Aug 16, 1998 at 04:23:06PM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:

> 	Nope. Not an infringement, if it already is guaranteed to be
>  on the system. You have no knowledge of the law, apparently.

We do not only ship complete systems, but also single packages o the ftp
site.

> 	Rubbish. You do not need to nclude the GPL. It is a courtesy.

This is wrong. Please read the license more carefully, especially point 1.
[which says something about the redistribution of source code] and point 3,
which says that binaries can be distributed under the terms of section 1 and
2.

See also my mail "Why we must ship at least some copyright licenses".

Thank you,
Marcus

>From point 1: "give any other recipients of the Program a copy of this License
               along with the Program"
>From point 3: "You may copy and distribute the Program [...] in object code or
               executable form under the terms of Sections 1 and 2 above [...]"