Re: Configuration management, revision 3

On Wed, Jul 29, 1998 at 05:01:54PM -0700, Joey Hess wrote:

> Let me ask you: how is this proposal for a language implemented in
> the frontend different that the original proposal for a shell script
> that that communicates with the frontend?

There is a fundamental difference.  The new model allows the frontend
make the decisions, based on the constraints set by the package's
configmodule.  In the original model the decisions were hardwired into
the configmodule, and if you wanted to change the decisions globally,
you'd have to rewrite every single package there is.  In the new
model, such changes require only that a new frontend be written, or an
old one be modified.

> Why don't we then just send the frontend a lump of shell code and use that
> as our implementation language?

Because a shell script is not suitable for describing the complex
structures that result from the nontrivial interdependencies of data
that some packages may require.  In other words, a shell script does
not scale well.

[my illustrative language]
> How is this different from:
[a shell script]

They do different things.

        Antti-Juhani
--
Antti-Juhani Kaijanaho <gaia@iki.fi> ** <URL:http://www.iki.fi/gaia/> **

         I can't seem to find a lowercase 'r' on my keyboard.
        (Lee Davies in comp.unix.programmer on July 22, 1998)