Re: Configuration management, revision 3

Jason Gunthorpe wrote:
> You are missing what he is saying. The current proposal is that we write
> basically a script to handle the configuration prompting. A script is
> probably necessary, but I think it probably should be in the post/pre inst
> not seperate..
>
> Anyhow, the point is that what you have is a package that has a set of
> variables it needs, you should be able to describe THESE VARIABLES and not
> THE METHOD TO SET/QUERY the variables, subtle difference.

Yes, I understand the distinction. I see the advantages to having a set
of questions, rather than a script. But I doubt it will be flexable enough.
Consider some examples of the questions asked in postinsts now. They often
go through a tree of possible questions and subquestions:

Do you want me to do foo?
	yes
		Do you want me to do foo2 as well?
			yes
			no
		What about foo3?
			yes
		       	no
	no
		Well then do you want me to do bar?
			yes
			no

How do you present this in a simple database of questions without presenting
the user with a coplicated mismash of questions?

--
see shy jo