Re: Configuration management, revision 3

On Thu, Jul 30, 1998 at 01:45:18AM +0200, Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> (nesting example removed)

It wasn't a nesting exmple.  :-)

> I was thinking about a language which seperates the two: first you
> declare all variables you want to use and give each a priority. In the
> next section you state dependencies between the variables and possibly
> a decision process.

Yes!  This is how it should be.

> I'll see if I can come up with a nice design :)

Cool!  [1]

> Even if the parser is (somewhat) complicated, we only need to
> implement it once.

Right.  It should be put in a shared library IMHO.

Oh, and BTW, I think this scheme should be implemented so that it is
not too Debian-specific.  I believe the whole GNU/Linux community
should benefit from this, and if we are lucky, we might get people
outside Debian to help in the maintenance, too.

        Antti-Juhani

[1] I'm one of those who think things should be done *right* :-)
--
Antti-Juhani Kaijanaho <gaia@iki.fi> ** <URL:http://www.iki.fi/gaia/> **

         I can't seem to find a lowercase 'r' on my keyboard.
        (Lee Davies in comp.unix.programmer on July 22, 1998)