Re: Configuration management, revision 3

On Wed, 29 Jul 1998, Joey Hess wrote:

> > Look at it from a broader perspecive, how will a Pre-Configuration GUI
> > look for N packages, what options will the user have, how will they
> > interact with it? Do you envision a simple series of prompts or as some
> > sort of exploritory tool allowing browsing of the value tree with some
> > 'wizard' like things to perform complex configuration.
>
> This latter obviously is more what we want. My point was that neither
> Wichert's proposal nor Antti-Juhani Kaijanaho's proposal accomplish this.

Yes, nobody has yet suggested eactly this combination, but I credit Antti
for starting the whole thread on meta-information (descriptions of the
values)

> We need to separate the values and desciptions of what they mean from the
> scripts. This gives us a browsable tree. The scripts are the "wizard" tools.
> I still favor using shell scripts, rather than some made up language
> interpreted in the frontend - I don't see a functional differnce and we
> already have shell interpreters.

I don't see why shell can't be used, so long as it provides the
flexability we are looking for..

How would the shell script be sent to the user? We can put the value tree
inside a file on the ftp site, but a script could be quite large+complex..

Jason