Re: Configuration management, revision 3

Jason Gunthorpe wrote:
> The distinction doesn't have make much difference when you look at a
> single package, who cares if it pulls or pushes, it does it's query thing
> and then it's done - either way it works.
>
> Look at it from a broader perspecive, how will a Pre-Configuration GUI
> look for N packages, what options will the user have, how will they
> interact with it? Do you envision a simple series of prompts or as some
> sort of exploritory tool allowing browsing of the value tree with some
> 'wizard' like things to perform complex configuration.

This latter obviously is more what we want. My point was that neither
Wichert's proposal nor Antti-Juhani Kaijanaho's proposal accomplish this.

We need to separate the values and desciptions of what they mean from the
scripts. This gives us a browsable tree. The scripts are the "wizard" tools.
I still favor using shell scripts, rather than some made up language
interpreted in the frontend - I don't see a functional differnce and we
already have shell interpreters.

--
see shy jo