Re: Summary[2]: dpkg and alpha/beta versioning

Ian Jackson <ian@chiark.greenend.org.uk> writes:

> I think (b) is better.  I favour `-' as a character.

It can't really be `-'.

That would mean debian-native packages can't use it at all.
And it would break one of the current best-practices for dealing
with precisely this situation:

 foo_2.1.109-pre2.1.110-2

Also you missed another consequence of using a currently legal character.
Not only will new packages be missorted by old software, but old packages
will be missorted by new software.

Personally I prefer rejecting the packages the software can't understand
rather than having outright incorrect behaviour. Incorrect behaviour is always
a bug and introducing avoidable bugs just seems, well, wrong.

Are illegal characters actually rejected by anything (except lintian)?
dpkg --compare-versions doesn't seem to which would mean either choice
means old software would missort versions, but using a valid character
mans new software will missort some old packages too.

greg