Re: nouser/nogroup clarification

On Tue, 21 Jul 1998, Philip Hands wrote:

> Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@datasync.com> wrote:
> > 	Lacking a formal process, I would still like to reasonable
> >  sure that the change indeed is something to which there is no serious
> >  objection; and that requires, I think, possibly an announcement on
> >  Debian devel (stating the change, and requesting any objections to be
> >  posted to the debian-policy list); and a two week waiting period for
> >  objections to be presented.
>
> Makes sense.
>
> So we kick each issue around on debian-policy until a consensus appears
> to have emerged, I then produce a diff showing what is going to be changed and
> publish it as a two week warning on debian-devel, with supporting argument
> summarised from debian-policy (where needed), and encouraging people to say why
> the change should not happen.

I don't think it would be appropriate to post it to debian-devel.  It's a
policy issue.  It belongs here.  I suppose one could make a concession by
posting an update every n weeks to debian-devel listing recent policy
happenings and encouraging people over to -policy to discuss them.

Let me be on the record as supporting Phil as 'manager' or 'arbitrator' or
'chairman' (whatever we want to call it).

Jules

(Who really needs to stick his debian address in this .sig)