bug #23953 ae: postinst does not check for errors

>                         Debian bug report logs - #23953
>                     ae: postinst does not check for errors
>
>    Package: ae; Reported by: Herbert Xu <herbert@goliath.apana.org.au>;
>    dated Sat, 27 Jun 1998 03:33:04 GMT; Maintainer for ae is Dale Scheetz
>    <dwarf@polaris.net>.
>
> Package: ae
> Version: 962-20
>
> ae's postinst and prerm scripts don't check for errors.

The function of these scripts is to conditionally install ae as "EDITOR"
using alternatives. If this fails the rest of the ae install is not
effected, and ae will be fully functional.

As ae may be the only editor available at the moment, it would be
undesirable for the install/upgrade to fail because the
update_alternatives calls failed, leaving the machine without an editor

I am closing this bug, but I think policy should reflect the reason set -e
is used, and when it is counter productive, its use should not be
required.

Waiting is,

Dwarf