Re: Question on conf files

Rob Browning <rlb@cs.utexas.edu> writes:
> Michael Bramer <michael@grisu.weh.rwth-aachen.de> writes:
> > If this true, then we must move a lot of files from /var/lists/*,
> > /var/named (and more?) to /etc/<package>/

> Yep.  For example, as far as I can tell, most of /var/named should be
> in /etc/named.  Symlinks from /var could, of course, be provided for
> backwards compatibility...

I don't know if I agree with this.  To start with, we must distinguish
between secondary zones and primary zones.  Secondary zones are really
cache data, so should probably go into /var/cache somewhere.

Now primary zones, which I assume is what you are talking about
primarily (pun), are really databases.  Should databases go in /etc?
I think not.  Sure, there's a fine line between a database and a
configuration file.  But I think zones are on the database side of the
line.

Quoting http://www.pathname.com/fhs/2.0/fhs-5.html:
| /var contains variable data files. This includes spool directories and
| files, administrative and logging data, and transient and temporary
| files.

My reading shows that named zone databases should go in
/var/state/named.  However, the existance of /var/nis and /var/yp make
me think that /var/named makes more sense, and of course is in line
with historical practice.  Can anyone enlighten this issue further?