Re: pkgs that have installer scripts, and the pkgs that depend on them.

On Sat, Jul 04, 1998 at 11:47:55PM -0500, Adam Heath wrote:
> I am packaging up Communicator/Navigator 4.05(full debs) for debian.  Because
> of the way I provide /usr/X11R6/bin/netscape, I have to conflict
> netscape{3,4}.
>
> During an irc session, someone said that fortify wouldn't install with my pkg.
> Fortify depends on netscape4.  This is wrong, in my opinion.  Netscape4 is
> just an installer, and is not needed to actually install netscape.
>
> Should pkgs depend on installers?  I have my debs providing 'netscape.'
> Should all installer pkgs provide a virtual pkg, that other pkgs then depend
> on?

	I'm the maintainer of fortify. It *recommends* (does not depend)
	netscape4 because the netscape3 package already patches the binary
	and fortify will not recognize it.

	How would you like this situation to be handled? Netscape3 also provides
	netscape, fortify cannot recommend that as it does not work. Would fortify
	suggesting netscape4 | yourpackagename satisfy this situation?

	Recommending netscape is what I first did, and still would like to do,
	but then it'd have to be "Recommends: netscape but not netscape3".
	There is no way to do that. So the other way is to list all the other
	packages providing netscape. This is luckily a short list.

	PS. "Recommends: netscape, Conflicts: netscape3" is even more wrong.
--
tv-nospam-sig-1@hq.yok.utu.fi - it's a valid address w/o spam