Replacing/phasing out PGP (was Re: Idea for non-free organization)

On Wed, Jul 01, 1998 at 04:22:29AM -0400, paulwade@greenbush.com wrote:
> 3) Discontinue use of PGP in the project. I carefully checked the license
> terms and I have to buy it to use it as a Debian developer. I would
> venture to say that every US maintainer needs to consider whether his
> business or employer eventually benefits from voluntary participation in
> the project. That constitutes commercial use of PGP. So I won't apply to
> become a maintainer.

Discontinuing PGP is IMO currently not an option for the project, as our
current security infrastructure relies on it. I do think however that we
should start preparing the road for an eventual phase-out of pgp. The best
alternative I'm aware of is GNU Privacy Guard (`gnupg' on nonUS).

How difficult would it be to extend our infrastructure (new maintainer
acceptance; developer-keyring; dpkg-dev) with support for gpg?

Ray
--
ART  A friend of mine in Tulsa, Okla., when I was about eleven years old.
I'd be interested to hear from him. There are so many pseudos around taking