Re: Proposed amendment (compiling non-free packages from source in main)

On Sat, Jun 06, 1998 at 02:52:10PM -0700, Jim Pick wrote:

> I agree.
>
> I don't know if just a plain makefile like debian/rules is enough
> though.  I think a more powerful approach is to use a configure-style
> script to generate the debian/rules file.  I'm doing this with some of
> the Gnome packages.
>
> Cheers,
>
>  - Jim

Please, don't mess too much with debian/rules especially when they are other
solutions. What doesnt let you  configure and create a Makefile through
out the rules in the debian/rules file? Just add a debian/Makefile.in
and add a dependency on build about debian/Makefile then run it directly.

I think it's important to distribute a running debian/rules who don't
need anything that aren't in the Debian manuals. It's also a goal to got
package compilation being automated. I personnaly try to remove any query
from my package build, just like my installation/removed scripts. I even
get some thanks from upstream maintainers for doing so.

Thanks.
Fabien Ninoles                                  Running Debian/GNU Linux
E-mail:                                                    fab@tzone.org
WebPage:                      http://www.callisto.si.usherb.ca/~94246757
WorkStation [available when connected!]:     http://nightbird.tzone.org/
RSA PGP KEY [E3723845]: 1C C1 4F A6 EE E5 4D 99  4F 80 2D 2D 1F 85 C1 70