Re: Proposed amendment (compiling non-free packages from source in main)

Shaleh <shaleh@livenet.net> writes:

> As the other half of the imlib question, let me put in my two cents.  As
> a developer and a free software lover I would hate to see this type of
> thing.  I see a fix, but am not sure if it is possible.  I use
> dpkg-buildpackage.  Is there some way analagous to "make foo" for this.
> We could then do "build" and this would build free stuff, and "build
> non-free" would build all or just non-free.  Similar to a "make foo" or
> "make all". Can this be done?  Then both camps are happy.

I agree.

I don't know if just a plain makefile like debian/rules is enough
though.  I think a more powerful approach is to use a configure-style
script to generate the debian/rules file.  I'm doing this with some of
the Gnome packages.

Cheers,

 - Jim