Re: Policy as rule of law, or whatever

Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@datasync.com> writes:
> 	I would prefer that the policy mention that,in rare cases,
>  there are exceptions to the rule, and mention the debugging libraries
>  as an example. This would make the policy more novice friendly, and
>  make it easier for the next person who has a debugging library. It
>  would also cut down on the bug reports from people who do not know
>  better.

     Defining the "key words" as in RFC2119, and editing the policy
manual to makes sure the appropriate "key words" are used throughout
would essentially serve this purpose.  However, there is no reason not
to amplify the definitions by additional notes in specific places in
the policy documents.

> 	I think a policy which reflected reality (and real life) and
>  explicitly acknowledges the fact that most rules have exceptions, is
>  more palatable anyway.
>
> 	Perhaps in such cases policy should also mention that "such
>  exceptions are required only infrequently, and it is recommended that
>  you mention that your package requires this on debian-devel" or some
>  such.

     If we adapt the RFC2119 definitions for the policy manual, we
could modify them to fit our needs.  The definition of SHOULD could
be:

   SHOULD   This word, or the adjective "RECOMMENDED", mean that there
   carefully weighed before choosing a different course.  When such an
   item is ignored, this fact, and the reasons for it, should be
   mentioned on the debian-devel mailing list.  The same information
   should be included in the package's README.Debian file.

Bob
--
   _
  |_)  _  |_       Robert D. Hilliard    <hilliard@flinet.com>