Re: Policy as rule of law, or whatever

Hi,
>>"Luis" == Luis Francisco Gonzalez <luisgh@cogs.susx.ac.uk> writes:

 Luis> I mantain dmalloc which is a debuggin library. Per policy I
 Luis> should have a special package with the shared library (because
 Luis> I am not to presume that any other program will never try to
 Luis> use this). But in fact this doesn't make sense for this
 Luis> library. Unless we want to start adding "overrides" to the
 Luis> policy, the state as it is now is much more reasonable. We all
 Luis> accept that policy should be followed in almost all cases but
 Luis> we don't have to take it with blind faith.

	I would prefer that the policy mention that,in rare cases,
 there are exceptions to the rule, and mention the debugging libraries
 as an example. This would make the policy more novice friendly, and
 make it easier for the next person who has a debugging library. It
 would also cut down on the bug reports from people who do not know
 better.

	I think a policy which reflected reality (and real life) and
 explicitly acknowledges the fact that most rules have exceptions, is
 more palatable anyway.

	Perhaps in such cases policy should also mention that "such
 exceptions are required only infrequently, and it is recommended that
 you mention that your package requires this on debian-devel" or some
 such.

	manoj

--
 "Any medium powerful enough to extend man's reach is powerful enough
 to topple his world.  To get the medium's magic to work for one's