Policy as rule of law, or whatever

I think my main problem with the `pro-strong-policy' arguments that
I've been seeing here is that they seem to imply an assumption that
policy is by definition correct, and that any point where it wasn't
the relevant policy document maintainer would agree at once.

How about the following: we define and use MUST and SHOULD in some
appropriate way, and then say:

  If a package violates a policy MUST [or the conditions for a SHOULD,
  if any] then this is either a bug in policy or in the package.  A
  maintainer who notices this while creating such a package should
  report the bug against what they feel is the appropriate package.

Then we can use the bug resolution procedure to fix the problem.

Ian.