Re: Uploading updated documentation package to frozen

On Mon, May 18, 1998 at 02:04:08PM +0300, Tommi Virtanen wrote:
> On Sun, May 17, 1998 at 03:52:58PM -0600, Anthony Fok wrote:
> > However, I would like to amend the above.   (BTW, is it a Policy?  I
> > couldn't find the word "frozen" in the Policy Manual.  ;-) IMHO, the above
> > rule should not be applied to pure documentation packages, including (but
> > not limited to) all the Debian documentations and the various Linux HOWTOs
> > package.  The reasons are rather obvious:
> >
> >   1. I don't think "bugs" can crept into a text document.  Spelling errors
> >      or grammatical errors, maybe, but I doubt it.  Besides, even if there
> >      are some spelling errors, they definitely won't affect the system.  ;-)

> 	Pure textual changes can't have bugs, I agree. But don't change the
> 	packaging infrastructure or backends - new bugs might creep up there.

Agreed, except in the case where the upstream documentation structure
changes.  Anyhow, the maintainer is responsible to check the new package
*very* carefully (e.g. check for dangling links in HTML documents) to make
sure it is bug free.  :-)

Anthony

--
Anthony Fok Tung-Ling        Civil and Environmental Engineering
foka@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca     University of Alberta, Canada