Re: Closing bugs in another developer's package

Zed Pobre <zed@moebius.interdestination.com> writes:

> What's protocol on closing bugs in someone else's package when it's
> clear that the bugs were actually fixed (in a maintainer release or by
> the circumstances around the bug changing) some time ago but stayed open
> in the tracking system?  So far my default behavior has been to just
> drop a note to the maintainer letting him or her know that the bug can
> probably be closed, but what does one do if one can't get in touch with
> the maintainer, or gets no response?  Should this be documented
> somewhere?

Your 'default behavior' has been correct. If the maintainer is uncontactable
over a reasonable period of time, then the package may be orphaned.
Other things to check are that the maintainer hasn't changed his email
address recently (several developers have more than one email address, you
may wish to try through the debian.org one) and perhaps an enquiry on
debian-devel asking if anyone knows where the maintainer is.

If the package is orphaned, you might wish to adopt the package and close
the bugs for good.

You're right when you suggest this should be documented somewhere, however
I think a discussion on that should be left until after the hamm release.

	Martin.