Re: ideas underlying policy

Hi,

Martin Mitchell <martin@debian.org> writes:
> I'd like to suggest that the issue be raised on debian-policy at some
                                                  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> stage, preferably before the package was released. Similar to the way we
> request developers to notify debian-devel about an intent to create a
> package, I think we should ask them to notify debian-policy about a
> potential policy conflict with their package.

     It should be raised on debian-devel as well.  AFAIK, the policy
on policy has been that policy issues are discussed on debian-devel
until a consensus has been reached.  The debian-policy list has often
served as a starting point for policy issues, but whenever the
consensus on that list is in favor of developing new or modified
policies, the discussion was moved to debian-devel.  After the
developers reached a consensus, discussions of the exact wording of
the policy change took place on debian-policy.  After that, Christian
issued his "Policy Weekly" message (which has never really been
weekly) to both -devel and -policy, again affording everyone an
opportunity to comment.

     IMHO it would be better to use debian-policy for all policy
related matters, but far too many developers feel they don't have
time to subscribe to debian-policy, but then complain bitterly that
policy was adopted without their input.

Bob
--
   _