Re: PROPOSAL: defining a new runlevel, 4

On Sat, May 02, 1998 at 04:15:54AM -0400, Adam P. Harris wrote:
> Branden Robinson <branden@purdue.edu> writes:
> > As it stands (as I understand it), runlevels 2 through 5 are presently
> > identical in Debian.  There is an ugly kludge in Debian XFree86 right now,
> > involving "start-xdm" and "start-xfs" which can make things behave
> > counterintuitively, and I'd like to get rid of these things.

> I disagree here.  I think it's best we stick with proven Unix
> practices rather than inventing our own because we feel like it.
>
> 0 - halt
> 1 - single user mode (emerg. maintenance)
> 2 - multi-user, no network serving
> 3 - full multiuser, network serving (where xdm, nfs, etc should start too)
> 4 - same as 3, up to local sysadmin
> 5 - same as 3, up to local sysadmin
> 6 - reboot

But hang on; Branden's whole point was that runlevels could solve the
xdm & xfs mess in the /etc/X11/config file; your runlevel proposal
doesn't address that at all. Is "it's traditional" a good enough reason
to do things? Traditionally a Unix platform doesn't come with the GNU
system installed, but we ship it that way. And more examples ...

Hamish