Re: PROPOSAL: defining a new runlevel, 4

Branden Robinson <branden@purdue.edu> writes:
> In bashing my head against X for a while I've come to the realization that
> perhaps it's time we come up with some official policy regarding runlevels.

Yes... Solaris has it, so should we. ;)

> As it stands (as I understand it), runlevels 2 through 5 are presently
> identical in Debian.  There is an ugly kludge in Debian XFree86 right now,
> involving "start-xdm" and "start-xfs" which can make things behave
> counterintuitively, and I'd like to get rid of these things.

> I'd like to kick xdm and xfs over to runlevels 4 and 5 (as RH and
> Slackware do, from what I gather on #debian).  It doesn't matter to
> me what we define runlevel 3 as.  We might as well leave it the same
> as 2 for now.

I disagree here.  I think it's best we stick with proven Unix
practices rather than inventing our own because we feel like it.

0 - halt
1 - single user mode (emerg. maintenance)
2 - multi-user, no network serving
3 - full multiuser, network serving (where xdm, nfs, etc should start too)
4 - same as 3, up to local sysadmin
5 - same as 3, up to local sysadmin
6 - reboot

This is probably too radical a change for hamm.