Re: [Q] update-menus

Davide G. M. Salvetti wrote:
> I have two outstanding Lintian bugs, against auctex and mailcrypt
> because I call update-menus in prerm instead of in postrm.
>
> Given the way update-menus actually works, it's my understanding that
> it won't make any difference where the call actually is (either prerm
> or postrm), provided it's correctly made.

Well, you're right. Menu waits until dpkg exits before running.

> I don't see any point creating a postrm just to call update-menus if I
> already have a prerm that can do this as well.
>
> Maybe we should either state clearly in the policy that update-menus
> has to be mandatorily called from postrm (i.e., it's behavior may
> change in the future and stop working if called from prerm), or allow
> calling it from prerm in lintian.

The policy manual says to refer to the menu packages documentation. The menu
package says to put it in the postrm. I think by a strict interpretation of
policy, this means you have to put it in the postrm.

I think it's worth a few more inodes used to put these calls in the postrm
only. The way update-menus works now is a hack (admittedly, a smart hack,
but still a hack), and I think Ian has expressed interest in adding hooks
into dpkg to make it unneccesary. So I think it would be a mistake to
depend on this behavior.

--
see shy jo