Package modifying its conffile (was Re: X and Window Mangers)

On debian-devel, Joey Hess <joey@kitenet.net> writes:

> FWIW, 2 and 4 conflict. I think it's in policy now (or soon will be) that a
> package cannot modify any conffile, even if the conffile in in the package.

Oh, dear. This means that the clever bit of code I've put into svgalib will
suddenly become illegal. :(

The code in question does something like the following:
  1. Save the mouse setting from the vga.conf.
  2. Restore the distributed default.
  3. Upgrade, only prompting to change the config file if something
     interesting has changed.
  4. Restore the user's mouse setting.

This way we get the best of both worlds; the user's mouse setting obviously
shouldn't be changed by the package, but some of the other settings may well
need to be. Does this seem entirely unreasonable?

Can somebody give me a pointer to this discussion, which I appear to have
missed? (Or was it part of the "extrafiles" stuff?)

Thanks,

Andy

--
Andy Mortimer, andy.mortimer@poboxes.com