Re: Conflicts between developers and policy

On Thu, Apr 30, 1998 at 04:06:44AM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> Hi,
> >>"Philip" == Philip Hands <phil@hands.com> writes:
>
> 	I may have over reacted to being the lone voice crying in the
>  wilderness bit.

I prefer to keep away from such discussions until the air cleaned up a bit,
but for the sake of the people who count votes here are my 0.02$:

I think the policy should be strictly followed. Exceptions to and errors in
the policy should be reported as a bug and properly included/fixed. The
policy should include a rationale where the reason is not obvious. It should
make clear what parts are required (must) and which are common practice
(should). I prefer a must over a should.

People should not be angry when policy is wrong for them, but they should
happily work on the policy. The policy is not something that is forced on
the developers by some "higher person", but something the developers force
on *themselves*. You can only experience real freedom if you feel the border.

In short, I agree with Manoj.

Marcus