Re: first proposal for a new maintainer policy

On 29 Apr 1998, Manoj Srivastava wrote:

> Hi,
> >>"Dale" == Dale Scheetz <dwarf@polaris.net> writes:
>
> Dale> The Policy Statement is a set of rules for the behavior of
> Dale> developers, set down by the "ruling body", sometimes referred to
> Dale> as "the government". When those rules are viewed as more
> Dale> important than the people participating, that view is a Fascist
> Dale> one.
>
> 	Please elucidate hw the laws of the united states, canada, the
>  united kindom, or indeed, any european union country (pardon
>  for missing your country here) does not fit the same criterion.

The Constitution of the United States speaks of the freedoms of the
individual and the responsibilities of the government. Many of the
amendments further expound on the individual freedoms a citizen has from
oppression by the powerful.

> 	If I wish to go out and help myself to the extra ``petty''
>  cash lying around in banks, I shall soon find whether the laws of the
>  land are considered more important than the people.

Those laws are for the protection of individuals from those more powerful
groups who would deprive them of "life, liberty, and ..."

> 	I guess the ANSI C standard is fascist too. Hmm.

If you are an individual composed of C code then it is ;-)

> 	manoj
>  amused
>  Is invoking hascism the same as invoking hitler in a discussion?

I don't think so, but please define hascism anyway ;-)

> --
>  "When I was a boy I was told that anybody could become president; I'm
>  beginning to believe it." Clarence Darrow

When I was in High School we learned that the Russian people voted in a
democratic election where there was only one candidate for President
provided on the ballot. Having already learned that our democracy was a
two party system providing two candidates for the ballot, it has always
seemed to me that the Russian system was more honest.

Luck,

Dwarf