Re: Conflicts between developers and policy

Hi,

Raul> Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@datasync.com> wrote:
>> Well, policy means something which has been adopted by a body. Hace
>> we actually done so? Am I saying we interpret the contents of the
>> policy documents differently? no, but the significance of the
>> policy documents definitely shall change.

Raul> Er... debian-policy is a distillation of debian efforts for
Raul> quite some time. Until you decided that it was somehow bogus,

	*I* decided it was bogus? This is rich. You have evidently ot
 being paying attention on Debian policy lists at all.

Raul> I would have said it was fairly well accepted as debian
Raul> policy. [The exceptions would be where people weren't aware of
Raul> it.]

	This happens not to be the case.

Raul> And, near as I can tell, the reason you becaome so combative
Raul> about debian policy being debian policy was that Ian Jackson
Raul> made a statement to the effect that it was sufficient for policy
Raul> to be policy.

	Again, this happens not to be the case. I was perfectly happy
 letting policy be policy until a well respected senior Debian
 developer made statements to the effect "Go right ahead and
 violate policy. Thats what I do"

	And another respected developer chimed in with how their
 pacvkage would break if they followed policy, and so they have
 been happily ignoring it.

	Where the hell were you then with this stuff about policy
 being ``generally accepted'' and all? huh?

	I started this effort to have policy more strongly ratified
 due to my alarm at "Go ahead and violate policy" advice, which, by
 the way, you did not object to.

	Your reason "let us leave things as they are, since we all
 know and respect policy" are demonstrably bogus.

Raul> Frankly, it seems like you either weren't paying attention, or
Raul> didn't understand.

	Selective memory is indeed useful. You, sir, are sadly behind
 the times here.

	manoj

--
 "I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed
 us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo its