Did I do the right thing?

Take a look at bug #21580.  The user says I should change the location of
rimapd from /usr/sbin  to /etc.  rimapd is for invoking imapd via rsh.  It
is just a symbolic link to imapd which is in /usr/sbin.  I told him that
as debian follows FSSTND, I shouldn't put a binary into /etc.  Does that
situation change if it is just a link?  Assuming I can't fulfill his
request, how else can I help this user while conforming to Debian policy?

Some guidance is requested.

--
Jaldhar H. Vyas <jaldhar@braincells.com>