Re: `Every package must have exactly one maintainer'

On Fri, Apr 17, 1998 at 12:22:25AM +0200, Christian Schwarz wrote:

> The reason why I object to the `multi-maintainer' idea is my experience
> with software development: I haven't seen a _working_ example of a
> software program yet, which had multiple _release integrators_ (that's
> what I think the `Maintainer:'s job is) at the same time. If someone would
> show me a good example for this, maybe I'd change my mind.
>
> The Lintian package has the following Maintainer field:
>
>   Maintainer: Christian Schwarz <lintian-maint@debian.org>
>
> This makes it very clear that the package is maintained by a single person
> (me), but the email address is a mail aliases for Richard and myself. This
> has the advantage, that bug reports are sent to both of us--and most users
> use this address for sending us feedback. I'd propose that other
> `multi-maintainer' packages use the same format for the Maintainer field
> (e.g., dpkg and boot-floppies).

For boot-floppies it is:

   Maintainer: Enrique Zanardi <sr1-boot-floppies@debian.org>

Many people work in the code and I usually do the uploads, altough there
have been "non-release-integrator-uploads" when the need have arisen.
So, what are the differences between the "multi-maintainer" packages
being discussed (boot-floppies and dpkg have been cited as examples)
and the "lintian-type"?

--
Enrique Zanardi						   ezanardi@ull.es