Re: `Every package must have exactly one maintainer'

Christian Schwarz wrote:
> Note, that the Linux kernel is developed by the same procedure: A lot of
> programmers contribute source code, but everything is integrated by a
> single person (Linus). The same holds for Emacs--and probably for most
> other packages too.
>
> The reason why I object to the `multi-maintainer' idea is my experience
> with software development: I haven't seen a _working_ example of a
> software program yet, which had multiple _release integrators_ (that's
> what I think the `Maintainer:'s job is) at the same time. If someone would
> show me a good example for this, maybe I'd change my mind.

Apache. It has a core group of maintainers, all equal.

My feeling on this is, yes, a single maintainer seems to work best, as in
the linux kernel model. But why do we have to enforce this in policy?
Developers should be free to set up any organization they want to maintain
their packages, as long as it gets the job done.

--
see shy jo