Re: Release file

On 12 Apr 1998, Guy Maor wrote:

> Jason Gunthorpe <jgg@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca> writes:
>
> >      Source
> >           This specifies who is providing this archive. In the case of
> >           Debian the string will read 'Debian'. Other providers may use
> >           their own string
> >
> >      Label
> >           This carries the encompassing name of the distribution. For
> >           Debian proper this field reads 'Debian'. For derived
> >           distributions it should contain their proper name.
>
> I don't understand the difference between these two.

Source: - now called Origin: - specifies who created the Archive. Label:
specifies what the Archive is called. In the leadin paragraph I mention
that the full user-presentable name of the Archive is formed as
  Label Version Archive

For debian this would work out to be
  Debain 1.3.1r6 stable
  Debian experimental
  Debian unstable
(Version: omitted for the latter two)

Now suppose Debian were to make a Debian For Hamms,
  DebHamm 1.8 stable

The Origin: would remain as Debian but the Label would show that it is no
longer Debian Proper.

Jason