Re: changelog vs ChangeLog and policy dictates

On Sun, Apr 12, 1998 at 10:40:14AM +0200, Richard Braakman wrote:
> Dale Scheetz wrote:
> > There are several other components of this package that also supply
> > changelogs of the form ChangeLog.<addon>. Are these files also in
> > violation of policy? This is a lot of "mucking around" for what looks to
> > me to be very little gain.
>
> Well, I can give you one data point: having a consistent name for the
> changelog is a lot of gain for me.  I always read the changelogs of
> packages that I install.  Knowing the filename in advance saves me a
> lot of time, I simply type "less /usr/doc/foo/changelog.gz".  If the
> changelog name is unpredictable, I would always have to stop and get
> a directory listing first, and look for the changelog.  This is
> IMHO an unnecessary annoyance.

This was the thing I wanted to point out yesterday, too, before my disk
died.

Well, the point is that the computer should make life for the user more
easily, and I use tab completion heavily. A difference in the first letter
would make me highly annoyed.

That said, I would like to have an announcement and lintian check for
the right names of README.{d,D}ebian.gz, {c,C}hange{l,L}og.{,{d,D}ebian.}gz.
And then lets fix the 50% of the packages that break this (whatever we
choose, every second has it different).

Marcus