Re: need input: essential packages and pre-depends

> 3. ncurses-bin contains "clear" and "reset", among others. If this
> package is essential, then those commands are allowed to be used in
> maintainer scripts.

I think I disagree with `if this package ... scripts'.  It may not be
explicitly stated anywhere, but I think it's reasonable for a package
to contain both really-essential bits and others.

I think that no package should (or indeed does) use `clear' or `reset'
in its preinst or without using a dependency.

(gzip):
> I think it is ok to keep it as it is, but this should be documented
> somewhere (that gzexe should not be used).

Yes.

> 7. sysvinit's changelog says: "Depends on new dpkg for the new
> update-rc.d" Well, if this is a simple Depends, then we can install
> sysvinit without upgrading dpkg, and dpkg would not even complain. Bad
> thing. Are we sure we want this? I don't think so.
>
> ** I will submit a bug against this package if nobody objects.

Err, what is this dependency for ?  In particular, what happens if you
have an unconfigured sysvinit with the new update-rc.d but an old
dpkg ?

> 8. We allow diff to be used in maintainer scripts, right? If not, this
> should not be essential. If yes, we would need a Pre-Depends. I think
> this is not a good time to downgrade the essential flag of a package
> that has been always essential. Therefore if nobody objects,
>
> ** I will submit a bug against this package if nobody objects.

I agree.

> I also think that some other packages would benefit from having a
> Pre-Depends, for example: do we want deliver or procmail (MDAs) to
> fail in the middle of an upgrade? Do we want a listserver to fail in
> the middle of an upgrade. Do we want a MTA to fail in the middle of an
> upgrade.
>
> Should not we make deliver, procmail, sendmail, smail, exim,
> smartlist, majordomo, etc. to Pre-Depend on libc6 also?
>
> [ Remember that we have told our users they do not need to put the
> machine in single user mode... ]

I disagree.  The MTA will be shut down (ie, not configured) during
the period when its dependencies are not satisfied.  This is fine.

I don't know about deliver, procmail, etc.  It depends, really, on
how the MTA treats a library loading error in a program it calls.  It
should be a temporary failure, hopefully ...

Ian.