Re: Policy about /usr/share

Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> Hi,
> 	From the lintian changes file:
> * Improved `files' check: No package should install files directly into
>   /usr/share. New tag:
>        file-directly-in-usr-share

Here's lintains' explination of this tag, FWIW:

joey@kite:/usr/share/lintian>lintian-info
W: foo: file-directly-in-usr-share
^D
W: foo: file-directly-in-usr-share
N:
N:   Packages should not installs files directly in /usr/share, i.e.,
N:   without a subdirectory.
N:
N:   Either, you should create a subdirectory /usr/share/... for your
N:   package or place the file in /usr/share/misc.
N:

> 	So, what does the check mean? 66 packages install files into
>  /usr/share. It seems OK to put files in there, as long as no program
>  ever references thos files directly. Is that right? What does the FHS
>  say?

I think you misunderstoond the check. Lintian only warns about files
*directly* under /usr/share, ie, those not in a subdirectory.

> /var/lib/dpkg/info/bsdgames-nonfree.list
> /var/lib/dpkg/info/bsdgames.list

Lintain doesn't flag these packages as being in error.

I don't understand why this check is here either, I just think you
misunderstood what it's checking.

--
see shy jo