Re: policy violation and bug reports. - some resolution?

So what's the problem with something like

> case `id -u` in
> 0) # whatever we want for root
> ;;
> *) # whatever we want for everybody else
> ;;
> esac
>
> ?

Answer: The attitude described by the phrase "whatever WE want for (whoever)"

Howbout: We have scripts in a dir like /etc/bash/scripts in which are kept
common routines. Then, scripts in /etc/skel which call the common routines
in /etc/bash/scripts are copied to each person's new account as they are
created. This part should change as little as possible. If you want to change
a certain startup behavior (a set of which is defined by debian-policy and
implemented for each shell), then change /etc/<the shell>/scripts, and then
all users will change, _including_ the users _already_ created... at least
those who have decided to keep their login on track. Those who don't are on
their own, and that is as it should be; many will want to do their own thing,
and as Manoj says, debian-policy should respect that.

Next, in this scenario, there should be a package separate from the shells and
distributed with them that would install a new version, assuming such has
changed. In a new installation this would be installed, as the files it
would contain reflect current debian-policy.

In my opinion, you _cannot_ go changing the behavior of other people's home
directories, especially if it's a company or ISP.

So, the attitude of "what WE want for *" should apply only upon a clean
install. The only other time it should be OK to make such a change is to
solve a grave or critical problem.

-Jim