Re: policy violation and bug reports. - some resolution?

Hi,
>>"Marcus" == Marcus Brinkmann <Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de> writes:

Marcus> On Mon, Feb 23, 1998 at 09:09:07AM -0500, Branden Robinson
Marcus> wrote:
>> So finally, here's my proposed solution:
>>
>> xtrs should install two zero-length files:
>>
>> /usr/lib/xtrs/model1rom.bin /usr/lib/xtrs/model3rom.bin
>>
>> and flag them as conffiles, so they don't get clobbered during an
>> upgrade.
>>
>> Okay, I will now sit back and wait to see in how many different
>> ways this is a stupid thing to do.

Marcus> I hardly can't believe it!

Marcus> This was my proposal two days ago for that I was flamed to a
Marcus> crisp by Manoj!

Marcus> Manoj... fire... now !

	Oh, OK.

	Why are you making these conffiles for no good earthly reason?
 Think about this in the post inst
 touch /usr/lib/xtrs/model1rom.bin
 touch /usr/lib/xtrs/model3rom.bin
 chown blah /usr/lib/xtrs/model1rom.bin
 chmod beah /usr/lib/xtrs/model1rom.bin
 chown blah /usr/lib/xtrs/model3rom.bin
 chmod beah /usr/lib/xtrs/model3rom.bin

	No fuss, no muss, no questions, no over write.

	If you wan to get fancy and talk to people (only on the first
 install)
ROMFILES='/usr/lib/xtrs/model1rom.bin /usr/lib/xtrs/model3rom.bin'
helptext () {
  if [ "X$DONEHELP" != "X" ]; then return ; fi

cat <<EOHELP
	I see this is the forst time you are installing $package.
 $package needs ROMS to run, unfortunately, because of licencing
 reasons, Debian can't provide these ROMS. In liue of real ROMS, I am
 creating zero length files with the names:
 $ROMFILES

	Please replace them with your own real versions in order to
 use $package. You can get these ROMS from http://www.somewhere.com/

 Please hit return to continue

EOHELP
 DONEHELP='YES'
 read ans
}

set X $ROMFILES
shift
for file
do
	if [ ! -e $file ]; then
		touch $file
		chown as.df $file
		chmod cd    $file
		helptext
	fi
done

	manoj
--
 By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail.