Re: Proposal: emacsen and add-on package handling

Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@datasync.com> writes:

> 	I was just reading the proposal, an I think I have gotten
> myself confused.

That's OK.  It *is* confusing.  I'll be happy to revise the docs if
you or I can think of what to change, but...

>  1) /usr/lib/<emacs>/packages/emacsen-install/vm
>     /usr/lib/<emacs>/packages/emacsen-remove/vm

Where did you get this path from?  I think you may have an *old*
version of the policy.  The current version is in
/usr/doc/emacsen-common.  There are also examples (which I hope aren't
buggy) which might make things clearer.  I'll leave off commenting on
some of the rest of this until we figure out if you're looking at the
right file.

> 	Umm, what is a main package in this context? /usr/bin/vm? That
>  can't be right. Does this apply to me at all? or you mean xemacs20
>  should point to xemacs-20.3?

This "mandatory binary symlink" stuff is for the emacs package
maintaners, not the emacs *add-on* package maintainers.  I'll try to
always make the distinction that way.

> 	When are the elc files generated? Do I have to have all the
>  flavours installed on my box, and pregenerate the elc files?

No, I intentionally wanted to avoid having to have you install
all the emacsen.  You generate the .elc files from

       /usr/lib/emacsen-common/packages/install/vm

the arguments to this script will tell you what's going on (which
emacs is being installed, and coincidentally, what name to use to
invoke the right emacsen for the compilation (that's what the
"mandatory binary symlink" is for).

> 	manoj
>  who rarely gets this flummoxed

The early version of the document was a mess.  I hope it's somewhat
better now, but it's still confusing.  Please ask again when you have
more questions.

--
Rob Browning <rlb@cs.utexas.edu>