GNUstep and /usr/GNUstep...

        Hello,

I'm currently packaging the GNUstep developement environment (primarily
for my own use by now, but I may release it in experimental if some people
are interested. However, the email I sent to the person listed as working
on it in the WNPP bounced, so I may end up actually maintaining it ;).

The problem I'm having is that all the GNUstep packages want to go into
a single base directory (by default /usr/GNUstep).

I tried to change the various makefiles and shell scripts to use
/usr/include/gnustep instead of /usr/GNUstep/Headers, /usr/lib/gnustep
instead of /usr/GNUstep/Libraries, etc...

However, this definatly tends to break everything.
The FHS-2.0 doesn't make provision for using /usr/GNUstep, but I'm however
asking your opinion on using this directory for GNUstep (either by asking
the FHS to be amended or allowing GNUstep as an exception).

Here are the reasons motivating this (in no precise order):

* /usr/GNUstep has a subdirectory structure that makes it easy to find
one's way into GNUstep components, and breaking it into pieces scatered
into /usr/include, /usr/lib, etc seems unwise.

* GNUstep compilation headers are platform independant, so putting them in
a subdirectory of /usr/include would mean we have to duplicate them into
/usr/foo-linux/include for cross-compiling.

* OPENSTEP (the standard GNUstep follows) use the same directory
substructure on every platform and changing it will probably break this
conformance (Ok, on NeXTstep 3 the directory /NexTDevelopper is used, but
it uses the same subdirectory layout than /usr/GNUstep).

* OPENSTEP is a whole environment in itself comparable to X11. Since X11
"owns" the /usr/X11R6 tree, GNUstep could use the same scheme. (GNUstep
DPS is currently based on X11, but in the next version we should also have
a "standalone"(read: which doesn't need X11 at all) version).

* Modifying all the GNUstep packages to use other directories means A LOT
of work.

It's of course possible to install everything in a /usr/lib/GNUstep
directory and add the necessary symlinks here and there, but I think it's
an ugly solution to put libs,headers,scripts and config files in /usr/lib.

Comments/Opinions?

	Cordialement,

--
- Vincent RENARDIAS                 vincent@{waw.com,pipo.com,debian.org} -
- Debian/GNU Linux:           Pipo:                    WAW:               -