Re: essential packages and Pre-Depends

Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@datasync.com> writes:

> 	[If this discussion is restricted to essential packages,
> 	please ignore this message. I am quite confused now]

Yes, we're just talking about essential packages.  I agree with
Santiago that all essential packages should be using Pre-Depends.

After generating this list, I was surprised at how small it was.

Required and Essential: (27)
base-files base-passwd bash bsdutils debianutils diff dpkg e2fsprogs
fileutils findutils grep gzip hostname ldso login mount ncurses-base
ncurses-bin perl-base procps sed shellutils sysvinit tar textutils
update util-linux

Required, but not Essential: (20)
adduser ae comerr2g e2fslibsg kbd ld.so libc6 libreadlineg2 makedev
mawk mbr modconf modutils ncurses3.4 passwd setserial shadow sysklogd
syslinux timezones

Guy