Re: awk: essential virtual package?

Hi,

>>"Christian" == Christian Schwarz <schwarz@monet.m.isar.de> writes:

Christian> On 18 Feb 1998, James Troup wrote:

Christian> [extremly essential vs. essential]

Christian> I fully agree to what James said. So I think it would be
Christian> good to check out all "Essential" packages in which
Christian> category they fall.

	Umm, are we sure that the weaker essential package really are
 essential? Does anyone remember the reason why? Can we document the
 reasons then?

Christian> Note, that from the package system's view, there shouldn't
Christian> be a difference between these two categories--it's the
Christian> maintainers who need to know which one a package is--in
Christian> order to set up Depends or Pre-Depends.

	Why not demote the latter set of packages to required?

Christian> There was a suggestion on debian-devel about creating and
Christian> maintaining a list of essential packages that explains the
Christian> reasons why a specific package is marked essential. This
Christian> list should also contain information about whether a
Christian> package is `extremly essential' or just `essential.'

Christian> What do you think?

	Maybe "just essential" is a synonym for required?

	Oh, I agree we should have such a list, seeing that I made the
 proposal. ;-)

	manoj
--
 Do not think lightly of evil that not the least consequence will come
 of it. A whole waterpot will fill up from dripping drops of water. A