Re: new policy topic --- syslog() [was Re: syslog facilities]

apharris@onshore.com (Adam P. Harris)  wrote on 09.02.98 in <[🔎] E0y1qlh-00079H-00@burrito.onshore.com>:

> Even that's a bit icky; since by the definition in <sys/syslog.h>, local?
> should be locally defined and not reserved or structured in anyway.  But
> the reality is we either have to hack <sys/syslog.h> and make some new
> facilities for the essential/prevalent oddballs, or reserve some of the
> locals.  And I'm lazy; therefore would opt for the latter.

Personally, I would think that any use of the local? facilities should be
configurable, that is, the relevant programs should either use non-local?
facilities, or what they use should be configurable.

Blindly using local? facilities is, IMHO, a bug.

MfG Kai