Re: about unique maintainer address policy

schwarz@monet.m.isar.de (Christian Schwarz)  wrote on 02.02.98 in <[🔎] Pine.LNX.3.96.980202183940.21104E-100000@monet>:

> What do you think of the following policy for maintainer fields:
>
> ---cut-here-----------------------------------------------------------------
>
> Each maintainer gets a (within the Debian project) unique `maintainer
> name' (MN). Usually, this will be the full name of the person. If two
> persons should have the same name, at least one of them has to add his/her
> nick name to the MN to make it unique.

Some people don't have/use nick names.

> The email addresses in the `Maintainer:' fields need not be the
> `@debian.org' address of the maintainer. However, the maintainer has to
> make sure that mail sent to his `@debian.org' address is forwarded to him.
>
> [The last sentence is completely new: Currently, a few people don't have a
> working forward file on master or don't check their mail box there.]

Make that "... reaches him". Reading it in place is a way to insure that,
but it doesn't involve forwarding.

> Usually, a package has exactly _one_ maintainer.
>
> Only in rare situations, a package will be allowed to have several
> maintainers. This is a special policy exception for a single package and
> that exception has to be approved by a discussion on debian-devel. The
> `Maintainer:' field of such a package would have to use the following
> format:

Looks like too much bureaucracy to me.

> With all this, the new `Developer DB' will store the MN's for each
> maintainer--but not the email address. The mapping package->maintainer can
> then be done simply by comparing the text in front of `<email@host'> to
> the records in the DB.

Doesn't everyone in the DB have an account on master? Those accounts are,
by their very nature, unique. Can we find a way to use those, apart from
the @debian.org address?

MfG Kai